Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Flood?!

Just moving up here this year and experiencing the long, harsh winter would have been just enough to push some one out of this area! Nope, then the flood came along and struck the Red River. It was scary because I had never had to experience anything like it. Granted, the last flood was in 1997.Its still a shocker for me. I actually went on Google and looked at the definition of sandbagging, because I did not even have a clue what that term entailed. Well, after doing twelve hours of it total, I got the picture. It was a long, tedious process. My body ached for a few days after. It didn't bother me much to go out and do it, because I felt as if I were doing something good, and I was. My roomate and I had went to a small neighborhood loacted right in front of the river. We knew a few college friends living there. We filled lots of sandbags and put them on four wheelers, where the sandbags would be taken to wherever needed. Then we moved a few blocks down and helped pass the sandbags through the line, leading to the bank of the river. It was muddy and messy, but alot of fun. I got to meet some new people, and just hang out with the FM area community, while supporting a good cause. I also went to the Fargo Dome and sandbagged for a while there. It was so noisy and crowded, but alot of sandbags got filled there! Then we went over to Sandbag central where it was such a small building and the smell of the large trucks exhaust, made me light headed. I shoveled there for about two hours straight, it was quite a workout! As much fun I had meeting new people, and doing something for the community, I hope I never have to fill another sandbag again! I will be happy to drive the fork-lift though! :)

No comments: