Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hello H2O!

I honestly have never seen anything like it, except for Lake Sakakawea! Yes I am referring to the River water that scattered across our land. Moving to Fargo wasn't the most exciting thing, but it beat where I was before. Then all of a sudden there was water! I honestly had no idea there was even a thought of a flood coming until a few days before the crest of the river. Shows how much I watch T.V. Anyways, there we were, me, my boyfriend, and his uncle. We were taking a little drive through close by neighborhoods. I had never seen so much white in my life, not from snow. There were so many sandbags, and they were EVERYWHERE! These sandbags outnumbered the people in the Fargo-Moorhead area, by a lot. I was just in awe watching all of these random people helping the houses along the river. Working day, night, evening, all the time. They had a lot of work to get done in a very little amount of time. This is why everyone pulled together to get this done, and that they did. After seeing all of this, I wanted to help. I helped out by going to the huge Fargodome, wehre i had never been before, and filled sandbags. There were a numerous amount of people there, but it wasn't too crowded just yet. I was sitting on a bucket holding open the bag while my aunt shoveled in sand from the pile. All of a sudden we started getting pushed out of our spot. People were starting to accumulate by the minute. After a while we just got sick of it and decided to leave. We did what we could and that's all we could do. I felt better about myself knowing I maybe helped to save someones house. Then the next day I thought long and hard and decided to go help in a sandbagging line. I was worried becuase i'm not suppose to lift a lot, but I didn't strain myself so I was fine. Plus it was cold, so it was hard to stand outside for a long time. We also had to help break up the sandbags that day because people made the mistake of leaving them out overnight to freeze. But all in all the Flood experience was interesting. I helped as much as I could and I felt good about it.

No comments: