Thursday, February 14, 2008

Reflections

Reflecting back on the first month or so of being in this class I realize that I have already started to learn a lot of new concepts on how to write better. One of the most important things is how to properly write a thesis; which I was not taught in my Writing Fundamentals class last semester. The other day I was looking at my papers that I wrote last semester and I was surprised to find that all of the thesis sentences I wrote began with “ in my opinion” and things to that nature. I think that using different wording makes thesis's better. Another thing that I have in cooperated into my writing is transition phrases, which helps to make the paper not so choppy. I work with transitions in my speech class also so all the things that I learn in class actually help me there too.
Another thing I have learned this semester is that I need to work on my C.S, R.O, and fragment sentences. After Crystal Jensen came in and talked to our class and told us about her tutoring in the learning center. I went and saw her and had her look over my comparison essay and she taught me a trick about commas and that was the FANBOYS trick. We went through my paper and looked at all the errors in it and she explained to me why there was a problem if there was one. After I fixed my paper it was a lot better and I know for sure that I’m going to take time out and go and see her when I need help with my writing. I think that it is great that she tutors for English because it helps a lot.

No comments: