Thursday, January 22, 2009

Class Connections

The classes that I have taken this year are all foundations to get me prepared for the dental program. I always wonder why I need to know most of the things I am learning. Why would someone who cleans teeth need to know how to do math problems, public speak, write well-formed sentences, and learn the whole human body, and not just the mouth? Well, not even a quarter of a second semester in, I’ve realized that all these skills are important for any career. It’s good to know math, even just a little. Public speaking is a class that helps people communicate with others, which is a good trait, especially being a dental hygienist. The human body is a must, so that we can understand how everything works. When a hygienist cleans teeth, he or she is aware of what kind of pressure to use, and what kind of nerves to avoid, because it could affect a major part of the body. No employer would want to hire anyone that does not know how to write good sentences, it shows lack of education/knowledge. So, now I understand why I am taking the classes that I am. The classes all work together to help me understand what is necessary for the career I choose!

No comments: