Thursday, March 27, 2008

Argument and Research Paper/Blog 5

Personally, I am excited to do the argument research paper, because I instantly knew what I was going to do my topic on. I am thrilled that the paper is only five to seven pages long, and the fact that there really is not anything different technically about this paper than any of the other ones that we have already completed. I am excited to learn more about my topic, as I do further research. My topic is about genetically modified organisms also known as genetic engineering. My argument will be on the idea that I do not support the use of this new and high yielding technology. I believe that it is unhealthy for the environment because these genetically modified organisms that man is manipulating, can uncontrollably interbreed and contaminate other non-genetically modified organisms in an unforeseeable future. Their release is considered genetic pollution and cannot be recalled once these new organisms are released into the environment! But, there is another side to this controversy. Farmers who use genetically modified organisms have much higher yield profits now than ever before. Other countries such as southern countries in Africa desperately want to use genetic engineering because of the higher profit and the less attention that is needed for these GMO crops. In my essay I intend to convince my audience that the use of genetically modified organisms is far more harmful and uncontrollable than natural crop production, and that the negative effects of genetic engineering outweigh the so called benefits of GMO production.

No comments: