Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blog 5

I've been thinking a lot now on research paper topics, and I have a few ideas on what to write about. I was thinking I would write about either: should adoption records be open to people over eighteen, and I would research for adoption records in a closed adoption to be open to people after age eighteen; the smoking ban in Fargo; a law for pregnant woman to not smoke when they become pregnant; and the plan b contraceptive. I am still debating on which one to do so after this post I am going to do some research online to see which one would be easiest to find information for. To do this Mrs. Beyer showed us how to go online and look up your topics. I think I would go to proquest and EBSCO to find information.

On Tuesday we also went over notes on the argument paper. Some of the notes we already know how to do are the thesis statement, body of the paper, and the conclusion. There were some notes about the paper that we didn't know and they are going to be a little challenging getting used to and using them in our papers. For example the countering the opposition, Mrs. Beyer explained how to do this by stating what other people are saying about your topic, then explain why they are wrong and restate why your idea is better. I also think the fallacies are a little confusing. Simply because there are so many of them, it is hard to remember all of the things that you are supposed to avoid. I guess if anyone or if I forget what to avoid you can go back and re-read pages 443-449 because our reading for today points out everything that you are supposed to avoid in your paper. For example avoid logical fallacies, ad hominem, false anology, non sequitor, and post-hoc fallacy. Although the research paper looks really challenging, I believe we all are going to do good if we just fallow our guide lines and show up for class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try to do some of your research on Open Adoption Records at www.AdoptionRecords.com where there is even a video song called "Child I Cannot Claim" on the bottom of the page that shows the results of closed adoptions. As a 22 year reunited birth mother, I can only say that records need to be open to give adoptees a sense of themselves and who they are and where they came from. They need that identity as well as their medical history. I could write volumes on the topic but won't. :o) Good luck in your decision for your topic.